I am lucky to have great local blogging friends. A while back, Lenore from Orlando Foodie told me she had a Key Lime tree outside her house. Me, being the helpful person that I am, offered to take any Key Limes she didn't want. Lenore said she would give me some when they were ready to be picked. About two weeks ago I got tagged in one of her Instagram pics - 20 Key Limes for @lovenconfection! Woohoo, Key Limes!
Key Lime Curd
Love & Confections original recipe
Key Lime Curd Ingredients:
- 200 mL Key Lime Juice, fresh if available
- 120 grams Sugar #1
- 120 grams Butter (9 Tablespoons)
- 300 grams Eggs (6 large eggs)
- 120 grams Sugar #2
Key Lime Curd Directions:
- Make sure the Eggs are at room temperature before starting, and that you have a fine mesh strainer and clean bowl waiting for the finished curd.
- Place Key Lime Juice, Sugar #1 and Butter in a medium-sized sauce pan on medium heat
- While the Key Lime mixture is heating, whisk together the Eggs and Sugar #2 in a bowl.
- Once the Key Lime mixture is just about to boil, slowly pour it into the Egg mixture while whisking the entire time - otherwise known as Tempering
- Pour the whole mixture back into the pot and cook on medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens. When a wooden spoon is dipped in the mixture and you can run your finger along the back, leaving a clear line, the curd is ready.
- Pour the mixture into the sieve, over the clean bowl, to ensure no scrambled or over-cooked egg gets into your mixture. Immediately cover the surface with plastic wrap - to make sure a skin doesn't form. Let it cool to room temperature on the counter, then place in the refrigerator to cool completely. Use within 1 week - if it lasts that long.
Until next time,
LOVE & CONFECTIONS!