Somewhere along the line, my Great-Grandmother and her sisters started baking this fruit square recipe. It is a very hearty and dense recipe that isn't too sweet, but just sweet enough. I actually eat it the day after it is baked, because I like the flavor better. This is also great served warm with some vanilla bean ice cream. This recipe works well with basically any fresh fruit. You can even use canned pie fillings if you're in a pinch.
a Love and Confections Family recipe
This recipe was adapted from my Great-Grandmother. It's a very hearty and dense cake-like treat, that isn't too sweet. You can make it in a 9x13 cake pan or a 12x16 cookie sheet with sides - your choice.
Blueberry Squares Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar (100g)
- 4 cups fresh Blueberries
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 sticks Butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar (300g)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 4 large Eggs (200g)
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour (375g)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 tablespoons Heavy Cream
Blueberry Squares Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour your baking dish (9x13 or 12x16). Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature and that your Blueberries are clean.
- In a small bowl, add in the first measurement of Granulated Sugar, Blueberries, Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice. Toss to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the Vanilla and Almond Extracts. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add one egg at a time and mix until fully incorporated before adding another. Scrape the sides of the bowl after each egg is mixed in.
- Sift together the Flour and Baking Powder. Slowly add it into the batter, stopping to scrape the sides halfway through. Gradually add in the Heavy Cream, one tablespoon at a time.
- Spread 3/4 of the mixture in the bottom of your baking dish. Evenly distribute the Blueberry mixture over the batter. Randomly drop the remaining batter, by the spoonful, over the Blueberries, and bake for 25-30 minutes - depending on your oven - or until a cake tester comes out clean after inserted into the middle of the squares.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy!
Until next time,
LOVE & CONFECTIONS!