July 4, 2013
Patriotic Rice Krispies Treats for the 4th of July
Posted by Terri Truscello Miller
Happy 4th of July everyone! This is a classic and super easy, no-bake recipe - in case you need to bring a last minute dessert to a barbecue today. We are having friends over, grilling and hoping the weather gets clear enough to do fireworks tonight.
When I was a kid, my parents always had a 4th of July party. We barbecued, ate and swam in the pool all day long. Once the sky got dark enough, everyone settled on lawn chairs in our driveway. All the neighborhood dads gathered their stash of fireworks and headed to our house. My Dad always went big with the firework display. We had to have anywhere from a 4-8 foot table set up to hold it all.
My Mom grew an Aloe plant in our front yard specifically for July 4th. The dads would all take turns lighting the bottle rockets, fountains or roman candles, and run away yelling "fire in the hole". Then came my Dad, with the massive amount of rockets and mortars. We always had a great show.
Hope you have a fun and safe 4th of July!!!
Patriotic Rice Krispies Treats
adapted from Kellogg
Patriotic Rice Krispies Treats Ingredients:
- 1 stick unsalted Butter
- 10.5 ounces mini Marshmallows (1 bag)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 Tablespoons Sprinkles, divided
Patriotic Rice Krispies Treats Directions:
- Use vegetable oil cooking spray to lightly grease a 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Melt Butter in a large pot. Add whole bag of mini Marshmallows. With a wooden spoon, stir continuously until all the marshmallows have melted. Add in the Rice Krispies and 2 tablespoons of Sprinkles.
- Stir until completely combined and all the Rice Krispies are covered with marshmallows
- Pour into the 9 x 13 pan and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of Sprinkles on the top. Cool and cut into squares. Best eaten within 24 hours.
Until next time,
LOVE & CONFECTIONS!