Creamy and delicious French vanilla pudding, graham crackers and chocolate frosting combine into one of my favorite semi-homemade desserts - French Vanilla Eclair Cake
Today's recipe is in honor of Isabel Laessig from Family Foodie. Isabel is the creator of the Sunday Supper Movement and the Food and Wine Conference, and someone I am happy to call a friend. She is an amazing, caring, devoted and remarkable person and I am so glad that 35 members of the Sunday Supper Family could come together today for a surprise celebration of her birthday.
For today's recipe, I could have recreated Isabel's famous Chicken in a Caramelized Onion Wine Sauce, which I have made a few times for my family, or her Angel Hair Pasta with Spinach and White Wine Sauce that I made with shrimp in place of chicken, but I wanted to make something sweet for her birthday today. I don't think I could ever top Vo-Vo's Famous Strawberry Cheesecake, so I created one of my favorite treats to share today.
While I love cake, I tend to have more nontraditional birthday desserts. I have had doughnuts, pies, and fondue before, but this Eclair Cake definitely tops the list. My Mom made it for me a few years ago for my birthday and I can't tell you how many times I have recreated the recipe for holidays and gatherings. It is so easy to make and absolutely delicious. It tastes like an eclair, but in cake form. I am hoping I also get a chance to make another one this week for myself, since my birthday is on Friday!
This cake is prepared the night before you want it served, so plan accordingly.The graham crackers have to soften a bit and the chocolate icing has to solidify. All the flavors meld together in a creamy, slightly crunchy, and chocolatey layered "cake" that will leave everyone asking for the recipe. Happy Birthday Isabel! Enjoy!
French Vanilla Eclair Cake
Adapted from a Love and Confection Family recipe
Click here for a printable recipe
French Vanilla Eclair Cake Ingredients:
- 30 Graham Crackers (more if some are broken)
- (1) 3.5 ounce package French Vanilla Instant Pudding
- (1) 5.1 ounce Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 4 cups cold Whole Milk
- 1 & 1/4 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1/3 cup Unsalted Butter, cut in pats or slices
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Sprinkles (optional)
French Vanilla Eclair Cake Directions:
1. Place the Heavy Cream in the bowl of your stand mixer and into the refrigerator until ready to use. Cold cream whips up better.
2. Line the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan with the Graham Crackers. I use 10 per layer (10 for the bottom crust, 10 for in between and 10 for the top crust). You will need to cut off a small portion of some of the Graham Crackers to fit them all in snugly.
3. Whisk the Pudding and Whole Milk for 2 minutes, until it thickens. Add Powdered Sugar to the Heavy Cream and whip on high until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream gently into the pudding.
4. Spoon half of the pudding filling mixture on top of the first set of Graham Crackers. With an offset spatula, spread the mixture, making sure it is evenly distributed and level. Place the next set of 10 Graham Crackers on top, just like the first.
5. Spoon the rest of the Pudding filling mixture on top of the second set of Graham Crackers. With an offset spatula, spread the mixture, making sure it is evenly distributed and level. Place the last set of 10 Graham Crackers on top. Place the cake in the refrigerator while preparing the frosting.
6. In a small saucepan combine Sugar, Cocoa Powder, Salt and Milk. Bring to a boil, while whisking continuously. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and add in the Butter and Vanilla Extract. Whisk until the Butter is completely melted.
7. Remove the cake from the refrigerator and slowly pour the chocolate frosting over the top of the cake. With an offset spatula, evenly distribute the frosting over the entire cake. If desired, sprinkle with Nonpareils or other colorful sprinkles. Place the cake in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, wrap it in plastic wrap, making sure the plastic wrap does not touch the chocolate on top. Refrigerate until using. Enjoy!
Join me in celebrating Isabel's Birthday with all the delicious food and drinks her #SundaySupper family prepared!
- Birthday Cake Cocktails by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Mojitos by Amee's Savory Dish
- Caipirinha Colada by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventure
- Fig-Bourbon Fizz by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mocha Martini by Desserts Required
- Mocha Mudslide by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Plum and Thyme Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Summer Fizzies by Momma's Meals
- 2-Ingredient Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Burrata Caprese Crostini with Proscuitto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes from kimchi MOM
- Cotija and Roasted Corn Guacamole by Simply Healthy Family
- Gluten Free Basil Tomato Flatbread by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Salt Cod Fritters by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chorizo Eggs Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Espetada (Portuguese Beef Skewers) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Salmon Rice Salad by Magnolia Days
- Sofrito Marinated Beef Skewers by Nik Snacks
- Steak with Red Wine Reduction and Blue Cheese by The Weekend Gourmet
- Angel Food Cake by Feeding Big
- Birthday Blondies by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Buttercream Icing by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chocolate Doughnuts with White and Chocolate Glaze by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- French Vanilla Eclair Cake by Love and Confections
- Homemade No-Churn Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cheesecake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Italian Cream Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Japanese Cherry Blossom Brownies and 10 Tips on How-To Get Drunk With Happiness by NinjaBaker
- Mint Chocolate Cream Pie by gotta get baked
- Pink Lemonade Cookies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Queijadas de Sintra by Food Lust People Love
- Red Currant Cheesecake Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Summer Peach Cake by The Wimpy Vegetarian
LOVE & CONFECTIONS!