The gingerbread cupcake recipe is so easy to make and this version makes a smaller amount than a normal batch. I used strong, warm coffee as one of the wet ingredients – just be sure it isn’t too hot that it starts cooking the batter.
Coffee buttercream is one of my new favorite experiments. I love the flavor that LorAnn Coffee Emulsion gave to the frosting. I used a lot more frosting than usual on the cupcakes, but only because it photographs better. You can definitely decrease the amount of frosting on each by piping a simple rosette – like on my Christmas Rosette Sugar Cookies.
The sprinkles are out of this world!! I used the “Reindeer Food” sprinkles from Sweets & Treats. It was the perfect color scheme for my cupcakes and I adore the miniature gingerbread quins.
When I envisioned this cupcake, it needed a topper that would wow – something out of the ordinary. After realizing I needed a mini gingerbread cut-out cookie, or gingerbaby as I was calling it all day, I turned to none other that one of the cookie queens herself, Sweet Sugarbelle. Her gingerbread recipe is phenominal and will be in my Christmas cookie rotation every year!
Here are some items used in today’s recipe:
Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
By Love and Confections
- 1/2 cup Cabot unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon LorAnn Oils Coffee Emulsion
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 cup strong coffee, warm
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground ginger,
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup Cabot unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 – 1 1/2 teaspoons LorAnn Coffee Flavor
- 2-3 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- Sweets & Treats Sprinkles
- Mini gingerbread cut-out cookies
- Heat oven to 350F. Line tin with cupcake baking papers and set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine butter and sugars, and cream 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and add in egg, vanilla and coffee flavoring. Mix to combine. Slowly add brewed coffee while mixer is on low. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves. Using a small measuring scoop, add dry ingredients in while mixer is on low. Scrape down sides and mix gently with spatula if needed.
- Using a scoop or disher, divide batter between 14 cupcake liners, roughly 2/3 full in each. Bake 16-20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in tins for 5-10 minutes, then place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Coffee Buttercream Instructions: In large bowl with hand blender, or bowl of mixer with whisk attachment, mix butter and shortening together until completely combined. Add in salt, vanilla, and coffee flavoring and mix on low until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl. Once incorporated, whip on medium low and add in heavy cream, starting with 1 tablespoon and adding more after incorporating powdered sugar. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Add in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Once combined, whip on medium to medium-high until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. If you live in a humid climate, or frosting does not hold shape, add sifted powdered sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until you reach desired piping consistency. If necessary, add additional heavy cream for looser piping consistency. Place frosting into a large piping bag fitted with a 1M piping tip. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Top with sprinkles and mini gingerbread cut-out cookie.
- Refrigerate if not using immediately.
Yield: 14 cupcakes
Puerto Rican Coquito from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Frozen Salted Caramel White Russians from Blogghetti
Gingerbread Salted Caramel Coffee Martini from Daily Dish Recipes
Hot Buttered Caramel Apple Cider Mix from Tip Garden
Salted Caramel Martini from April Golightly
Slow Cooker Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate from Cheese Curd in Paradise
Chocolate Hazelnut Doughnuts from Kate’s Recipe Box
Cranberry Eggnog Quickbread from Jonesin’ For Taste
Cranberry Orange Bread from Juggling Act Mama
Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls from Moore or Less Cooking
Eggnog Cinnamon Roll Donuts from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies from Seduction In The Kitchen
Chocolate Espresso Mousse from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Cranberry Champagne Cupcakes from Our Good Life
Eggnog Gelato from The Redhead Baker
Festive Coconut Macaroons from For the Love of Food
Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream from Love and Confections
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Peppermint Pattie-Stuffed Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies from Platter Talk
Peppermint Red Velvet Macarons from The Crumby Kitchen
Rum Spiked Eggnog Cupcakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Salted Caramel German Chocolate Dessert Shooter from Take Two Tapas
White Christmas Cupcakes with White Chocolate Peppermint Buttercream from Family Around the Table
White Chocolate Cranberry Coffee Cake from Who Needs A Cape?
Thank you ChristmasSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Lorann Oils & Flavors, Torani, Joyjolt, and Sweets & Treats Boutique for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for ChristmasSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The ChristmasSweetsWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The ChristmasSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the ChristmasSweetsWeek posts or entry.