Summer is calling, and what better way to celebrate than with a cake inspired by a fabulous poolside cocktail – Easy Piña Colada Poke Cake. Pineapple yellow cake is filled with rum-flavored coconut cream pudding then frosted with whipped topping and decorated with toasted coconut, pineapple chunks and maraschino cherries. Cheers!
I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #SummerDessertWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Poolside cocktails are a must during the Summer. My favorite is a strawberry daiquiri, but my family also loves piña coladas, which inspired me to create this easy and delicious cake. Piña Colada Poke Cake is great for any Summer party or barbecue.
Piña Colada Cake:
While I love baking from scratch, I do not have anything against box mixes. They save time, and are easy to throw together fast. I usually keep an assortment of cake mixes on hand. Pineapple is the main cake flavor and I used pineapple juice in place of the water. If you love pineapple as much as I do, you need to try my Pineapple Paradise Layer Cake. That layer cake is another show-stopping Summer dessert!
Filling & Toppings:
The pudding is mixed right after the cake comes out of the oven. I combined both boxes of pudding mix and 4 cups of milk, whisked until combined 1-2 minutes, then poured half into the cake. I continued whisking for another 3 minutes until the pudding thickened and then spread it on top. It needs to refrigerate a minimum 1-2 hours to set. The rum extract is optional, but I like the flavor, and really makes the cake taste like a piña colada without having actual alcohol in it.
After, I spread a full container of whipped topping, and garnished with toasted coconut, maraschino cherries, and pineapple chunks. I might serve these with those cute cocktail umbrellas next time to really amp up the Piña Colada Poke Cake too! Toasted coconut was also featured in yesterday’s recipe for Chocolate Coconut Congo Squares. Read my tips below for the best ways to toast coconut.
RECIPE NOTES: I REPLACED THE WATER WITH PINEAPPLE JUICE. IF YOU’RE NOT A FAN OF RUM EXTRACT, IT CAN BE LEFT OUT. IF YOU CANNOT FIND COCONUT CREAM PUDDING, FEEL FREE TO USE VANILLA PUDDING AND ADD 1-2 TEASPOONS COCONUT EXTRACT TO GET THE COCONUT FLAVOR. YOU CAN ALSO ADD COCONUT EXTRACT TO THE WHIPPED TOPPING TOO.
Tips & Tricks:
- Here are a few of my favorite choices for 9×13 baking pans.
- Use the back of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake immediately after it comes out of the oven.
- When toasting coconut, either spread on a sheet tray in a 350F oven, or toast in a dry frying pan on the stove-top. Regardless of which method you use, stir frequently for even toasting, and always keep an eye on it – coconut can go from toasted to a burnt, flaming mess in an instant… trust me, I know.
Easy Piña Colada Poke Cake
- 1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
- 1 cup pineapple juice, not from concentrate
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 3.4 oz instant coconut cream pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 8 oz whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- pineapple chunks, for garnish
- maraschino cherries, for garnish
- Prepare 9x13 baking pan with baking spray. Mix and bake cake according to package directions, replacing water with pineapple juice.
- Once cake is baked and out of the oven, use the hand of a wooden spoon to poke holes into cake.
- Combine pudding mix, milk, and run extract, and whisk for 1-2 minutes. Pour half into holes. Continue whisking 3 minutes until thickened slightly and spread over cake. Refrigerate 1-2 hours to set.
- Spread on whipped topping and sprinkle toasted coconut on top. Add pineapple chunks and maraschino cherries for garnish. keep refrigerated until serving.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Mermaid Pineapple Rum Dum from Big Bear’s Wife
Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts:
- Pineapple Coconut Milkshakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Ice Cream Torte with Crunchy Crumby Center from Family Around the Table
- Drumstick Layered Dessert from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mermaid Milkshakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mojito Popsicles from The Spiffy Cookie
- Fried Ice Cream Cake from Cookaholic Wife
- Unicorn Milkshake from For The Love of Food
- Banana Cream Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Mojito Cupcakes from Jen Around the World
- Pina Colada Cupcakes from The Beard and The Baker
- Lemonade Cupcakes from The Domestic Kitchen
- Summer Sangria Cake from A Blender Mom
- Lemon Meringue Cheesecake Cupcakes from Doughmesstic
- Sunflower Cupcakes from Home Sweet Homestead
- Easy Pina Colada Poke Cake from Love and Confections
- Classic Vanilla Cupcakes + Summer Cupcake Decorating from Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes from Everyday Eileen
- Almond Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream Frosting from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
No Bake Treats:
- Million Dollar Bar Pies from Fake Ginger
- Blackberry Cream Cheese Dessert from Eat Move Make
- No Bake Lemon Cheesecake from Cooking With Carlee
- S’mores Cheesecake from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Strawberry Cheesecake Shortbread Bars from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Drumstick Babka from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Raspberry Lemon Brownies from Sweet Beginnings
- Peach Streusel Crumb Bars from Blogghetti
- White Tea Peach Panna Cotta from Palatable Pastime
- Homemade Strawberry Swirl Marshmallow from My Sweet Zepol
- Blueberry Lemonade Lollipops from Our Good Life
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summer time event is filled with some down right amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!
There are 45 incredible bloggers participating in this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event! Thanks to those bloggers, we have over 168 summer time sweet treat recipes being shared this week! Grab a few recipes to try out and don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
Scroll down to take a look!
Dixie Crystals is giving away one (1)Keurig® K-Select® Coffee Maker
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including Adams Poundcake Kit, Adams Best, Adams Lemon Extract, Adams Natural Food Color, and Adams Cinnamon Sugar
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Wilton Gift Pack – including – Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 13 x 9 -inch Oblong Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Square Cake Pan, Bake and Bring Geometric Print Non-Stick 8-inch Round Cake Pan, Peach Cobbler Candy Melts Candy, Blueberry Lemonade Candy Melts Candy, Orange Crème Candy Melts Candy, Key Lime Pie Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Orange Crème Decorating Icing Pouch with Tips, Pop Art Triangle and Solid Cupcake Liners, Geometric Print and Solid Green Cupcake Liners, Balloon Dog Icing Decorations, Assorted Brights and Pastels Sprinkles, Blue Sprinkles Tackle Box, Coral Sprinkles Tackle Box, DIY-Lish Mermaid Kit, DIY-Lish Candy Lollipop Kit and Disposable Decorating Bags with 1M Tips
Prize #4 — Sweets & Treats Boutique is giving away 1 (one) baking supply box including an assortment of sprinkles and cupcake liners as well as one of Love From The Oven’s recent cookbooks!
Prize #5 — Anolon is giving one (1) winner an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Round Springform Pan & an Anolon Advanced Graphite 9″ Square Springform Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 7th – July 14th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 5 (five) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 5 (five) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Anolon ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.