Last month, my Dad got transferred here for his job and moved in with us. Mr. L&C, Dad and I are mostly adjusted to each other's schedules - I haven't lived with Family for 11 years. Dad wakes up for work earlier than we do, so he eats breakfast first. He asked if I could make these little egg "muffins" like my sister does up at home.
I didn't have any recipe to follow, but I think they turned out pretty darn good. KB uses muffin tins, but I think they turn out a little too tall for sandwiches. Dad bought mini bagels to use for the egg sandwiches and that gave me the brilliant idea to use a doughnut pan!
This recipe is easy to adjust for quantity and add your own spin on ingredients. I am going to make my next batch with spinach and swiss, possibly also a tomato and mozzarella version too.
Ham, Egg and Cheese Mini Sandwiches
a Love and Confections original recipe
yield 12 Ham, Egg and Cheese Sandwiches
Ham, Egg and Cheese "Doughnut" Ingredients:
- 8 slices of Ham, I used regular deli slices, but you can use thicker cubed ham if you prefer
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1.25 cups Egg Beaters or about 8-10 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Mini Bagel, toasted and buttered
- Tomato Slices, optional
Ham, Egg and Cheese "Doughnut" Directions:
- Heat oven to 350F. Spray pan with a little bit of non-stick cooking spray, just to make sure they come out perfect. You will have to work in 2 batches because there are only 6 cavities per regular doughnut pan
- Cut the Ham into small pieces/cubes and equally distribute in the doughnut pan cavities.
- Equally distribute and sprinkle Cheddar Cheese on top of the Ham.
- Whisk Egg Beaters - or Eggs, if using - with Salt and Pepper, then pour over Ham and Cheese, leaving a little room at the top, because the eggs will bake and puff up slightly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, depending on how correct your oven temperature is, or until fully cooked and springs back to the touch.
- Let it cool slightly before removing from doughnut pan. Repeat for second batch.
- Cool completely before storing. I recommend storing in zip-top bags in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
To assemble Sandwich:
- Toast and Butter mini Bagel. Layer Ham, Egg and Cheese "doughnuts" with Tomato slices and enjoy!
Until next time,
LOVE & CONFECTIONS!
Disclaimer: I received a Doughnut Pan by King Arthur Flour for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own.