I have had apple cider donuts from the store or donut shops before, but I hadn’t had a fresh, made-to-order one until last year on my visit to Vermont. Cold Hollow Cider Mill is now one of my favorite spots in Vermont.
The hot made-to-order donuts are out of this world, and the freshly-pressed cider is like none other. I would visit Vermont in a heartbeat just to go to back Cold Hollow Cider Mill again. While on vacation, we loved it so much we went to the cider mill twice in the same week!
That Vermont trip was breathtakingly beautiful and so memorable. Mr. L&C and I drove all over Northern Vermont and had fun exploring.
We visited Cabot, the cider mill, a few apple orchards, fun restaurants, did wine & cider tastings, took a gondola to the top of Jay Peak (we could see Canada from the top), and more. Apple picking and the cider mill were probably my favorite experiences, since I had never picked apples before.
I cannot wait to take Little L&C apple picking for the first time. Here in FL we have strawberries, blueberries and citrus, so she has been picking those since she was a baby.
Apples are next on my list for her. Hope you have a delicious Fall and make this cake for your family, especially if you are lucky enough to pick apples!
Apple Cider Spiced Donut Cake
By slightly adapted from BakedbyRachel.com
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1-2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
- 1-2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350F. Prepare bundt pan with baking spray
- In a large measuring cup, whisk the cider, eggs and vanilla together until combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, or a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Using either the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, slowly add the liquid while mixing on low, until just combined.
- Place diced apples in a medium bowl and toss with 1-2 tablespoons flour. Fold into cake batter then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack.
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon or apple pie spice. Place cooling rack onto parchment paper. Sprinkle all over with cinnamon sugar. If sugar is not sticking, use pastry brush and brush cake with butter, then top with cinnamon sugar.
Here are some supplies used for this recipe:
- Apple Bourbon Pork Tenderloin with Butternut Squash by Girl Abroad
- Apple Butter Cheesecake Tart by Soulfully Made
- Apple Cheesecake Breakfast Quesadillas by 4 Sons R Us
- Apple Cinnamon Cake by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Apple Cider Spiced Donut Cake by Love and Confections
- Apple Cinnamon Oat Bars by Daily Dish Recipes
- Apple Crisp Breakfast Bowl by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Fennel and Beet Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Apple Hand Pies with an Oatmeal Crust by The Freshman Cook
- Apple Nachos by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Peanut Butter Ebelskivers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Tortas Fritas (Argentinean Fry Bread with Apples) by Palatable Pastime
- Apple Oatmeal Pancakes by Simple and Savory
- Apple Rosette Frangipane Tart by Culinary Adventures With Camilla
- Applesauce Oatmeal Bread With Vanilla Honey Butter by Cooking With Carlee
- Caramel-Stuffed Apple Butter Snickerdoodles by The Redhead Baker
- Chicken Salad with Apples, Cranberries, and Pecans by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cinnamon Apple Iced Oatmeal Cookies by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Harvest Apple Cakelets with Maple Drizzle by Everyday Eileen
- Pink Peppercorn & Curry Leaf Chicken Salad by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck
- Stuffed Apples with Cheddar and Sausage by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Disclaimer: Thank you AppleWeek Sponsors: Swiss Diamond, Nordic Ware, Envy Apples, Imperial Sugar, The Spice House, Rodelle Vanilla, Flahavan’s Irish Oats and Nairn’s for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for AppleWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The AppleWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The AppleWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the AppleWeek posts or entry.
Wendy Klik says
I would love a piece of that cake and your photos are awesome.