Happy Pi Day! Today I am celebrating my love of Pi with pie. Pi – that wonderful non-repeating, non-terminating number from math class many years ago. When I was in high school, I had an algebra teacher who knew 45 decimals of Pi by heart. I bet that I could memorize more, and helped organize our high school’s Pi Day celebration.
It took a little while, but every day leading up to Pi Day, I memorized 3 additional digits of Pi, until I beat and smashed his record. We had fun pieing teachers in the face to raise money for charity, and during our morning announcements, I rambled all the digits of Pi I had learned. To this day, I still can recite all 56 decimals of Pi that I memorized.
So, onto the delicious part of Pi Day – the pie. While I like making homemade crust and homemade filling, I kind of took a shortcut. Things have been quite busy around here, with a rambunctious 3 year old. Sometimes I have to take shortcuts to get things done, and truth be told, I ran out of time making these hand pies, but they still turned out cute and delicious! I hope you enjoy Pi Day with a slice of your favorite pie!
Cherry Hand Pies
By Love and Confections
- 1 pre-packaged pie crust
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 egg
- Turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon milk or lemon juice
- Heat oven to 425F. Prepare sheet tray with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Roll pie dough slightly thinner, on a lightly floured surface. Using a biscuit or circle cutter, cut rounds and place on baking sheet. If needed, re-roll and cut more.
- Place 2-3 cherries in the middle of 8 bottoms, brush the outside with egg wash, and crimp with a fork. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake for 14-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool on wire rack. Create glaze with powdered sugar and milk or lemon juice. Drizzle onto pies and enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Cook time: 18 mins.
Total time: 23 mins.
Happy Pi Day! Here are some delicious pies baked up by our blog friends. Hope you have a delicious #piday!
Cherry Hand Pies from Love and Confections
Chocolate Orange Free Form Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
Chocolate Peanut Butter Freezer Pie from Feeding Big
Fried Apple Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Gluten Free Death By Chocolate Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
Mini Shamrock Pie from The Freshman Cook
Shepherd’s Pie Pizza from The Spiffy Cookie
Sweet Potato Pie from My Catholic Kitchen
Until next time,
LOVE & CONFECTIONS!