I gave my family’s recipe for Congo Squares a Summer upgrade and added shredded coconut, for a delicious spin on the classic chocolate chip cookie bars! You won’t be able to stop eating these Chocolate Coconut Congo Squares!
I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #SummerDessertWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
My family loves Congo Squares and what better way to jazz it up for Summer than coconut. Angie from Big Bear’s Wife is hosting her annual #SummerDessertWeek and I am loving all the fun desserts so far. I created a Mermaid Layer Cake the other day and am still swooning over it! Coconut and chocolate are a winning combination for both Mr. L&C and my Dad, so these squares were gobbled up fast.
Chocolate Coconut Congo Squares:
I first made these squares after going through my Great-Aunt’s recipes. Chocolate Pecan Congo Squares were the perfect treat for my #BrunchWeek, and the family has been asking for another batch since. These bars are irresistible – you seriously cannot eat just one. It’s like the ultimate chocolate chip cookie, chewy on the inside and crispier toward the edges. Are you a center-cut or edge person when it comes to bars and brownies? Me – I like it all!!
If you prefer a more coconut flavor, you can use coconut extract and also toast the coconut for the bars. They baked up perfectly in 30 minutes, but always check your oven to make sure the temperature is calibrated properly.
The topping isn’t a necessity, but who can resist a drizzle of dark chocolate. I prefer dark chocolate for drizzles and glazes, as opposed to milk chocolate because of the higher cocoa concentration. Milk chocolate would make the bars a bit too sweet, but I do sometimes use it in baking. We’ll save the chocolate lessons for another day (certified pastry chef here).
I also topped the Chocolate Coconut Congo Squares with toasted coconut.
RECIPE NOTES: I SLIGHTLY ADAPTED THE ORIGINAL CONGO SQUARES RECIPE BY ADDING COCONUT AND CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE. THE BATTER IS THICK AND STICKY, AND CAN BE DIFFICULT SPREADING IN THE PAN. DON’T BE AFRAID TO DUST YOUR HANDS WITH A BIT OF FLOUR AND USE YOUR FINGERTIPS TO FLATTEN THE BATTER OUT.
CONGO SQUARES TIPS:
- Grease and flour your pan, or line the pan with baking paper.
- Overlap the baking paper, so you can easily take the squares out of the pan after baking.
- Either use a sharp chef’s knife or metal bench scraper to cut the squares.
- Bake a batch and freeze half (wrap well in plastic wrap) for when you get a cookie craving.
- When toasting coconut, either spread on a sheet tray in a 350F oven, or toast in a dry frying pan on the stove-top. Regardless of which method you use, stir frequently for even toasting, and always keep an eye on it – coconut can go from toasted to a burnt, flaming mess in an instant… trust me, I know.
Chocolate Coconut Congo Squares
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Adams Best Vanilla Flavor
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon coconut extract, optional
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasting optional
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, or dark chocolate coating wafers
- toasted unsweetened shredded coconut for garnish
- Heat oven to 350Grease and flour 9 x 13 pan, or alternatively line with baking paper. Set aside
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and coconut extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix to combine. While mixer is on low, add in chocolate chips and coconut.
- Pour into pan and using spatula or your hands dusted with a little bit of flour, spread the batter evenly.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until lightly brown around the edges and the center cooked through. Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes. Cut into 24 squares.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions. Drizzle onto Congo Squares. Top with toasted coconut.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts:
- Brownie Ice Cream Sundaes from Desserts Required
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars from Family Around the Table
- Simple Watermelon Lime Garnita from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- No Churn Patriotic Funfetti Ice Cream from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- No Churn Lemonade Ice Cream from 4 Sons R Us
- Orange Julius Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Key Lime Pie-sicles from The Domestic Kitchen
- Lemon Meringue Pie from Palatable Pastime
- Mississippi Mud Pie from For the Love of Food
Sweet Summertime Cakes and Cupcakes:
- Pineapple Coconut Milkshakes from Daily Dish Recipes
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pound Cake from Pastry Chef Online
- Beach Cake from Everyday Eileen
No Bake Treats:
- Banana Split Eclair Dessert from Big Bear’s Wife
- Lemon Lavender Scones from Jen Around the World
- Frosted Cookie Bars from Miss in the Kitchen
- Easy Raspberry Lemon Crumble Bars from Who Needs A Cape?
- Peach and Nectarine Torte with Almond Whipped Cream from Nancie’s Table
- Cookie Bars from Back To My Southern Roots
- Bomb Pop Cheesecake Cups from Sweet ReciPEAS
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Coconut Congo Squares from Love and Confections
- Orange Creamsicle Truffles from Sweet Beginnings
Welcome to the 3rd Annual #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. This week-long summer time event is filled with some down right amazing sweet recipes from fantastic bloggers and we’ve got some great giveaways from our generous sponsors too!! We can’t wait to share all of these summer-themed desserts with you and celebrate sweet, sweet summertime all week long!
There are 45 incredible bloggers participating in this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event! Thanks to those bloggers, we have over 168 summer time sweet treat recipes being shared this week! Grab a few recipes to try out and don’t forget to enter the giveaway below!
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop and Anolon ! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.