Key Lime Curd instantly came to mind. I didn’t want to just make a Key Lime Pie – even though it is one of my all-time favorite desserts. By making the curd, I can incorporate it into a bunch of ideas I have… we’re going Key Lime Crazy on Love & Confections! … Also, don’t forget to check out my Key Lime Cupcakes filled with this Key Lime Curd and frosted with Key Lime Buttercream! Yum!
Key Lime Curd
Love & Confections original recipe
Key Lime Curd Ingredients:
– 200 mL Key Lime Juice, fresh if available
– 120 grams Sugar #1
– 120 grams Butter (9 Tablespoons)
– 300 grams Eggs (6 large eggs)
– 120 grams Sugar #2
Key Lime Curd Directions:
– Make sure the Eggs are at room temperature before starting, and that you have a fine mesh strainer and clean bowl waiting for the finished curd.
– Place Key Lime Juice, Sugar #1 and Butter in a medium-sized sauce pan on medium heat
– While the Key Lime mixture is heating, whisk together the Eggs and Sugar #2 in a bowl.
– Once the Key Lime mixture is just about to boil, slowly pour it into the Egg mixture while whisking the entire time – otherwise known as Tempering
– Pour the whole mixture back into the pot and cook on medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens. When a wooden spoon is dipped in the mixture and you can run your finger along the back, leaving a clear line, the curd is ready.
– Pour the mixture into the sieve, over the clean bowl, to ensure no scrambled or over-cooked egg gets into your mixture. Immediately cover the surface with plastic wrap – to make sure a skin doesn’t form. Let it cool to room temperature on the counter, then place in the refrigerator to cool completely. Use within 1 week – if it lasts that long.
Until next time,
LOVE & CONFECTIONS!