It’s day 4 of #VanillaWeek!! I hope you enjoyed my Vanilla Bean Tiramisu, Vanilla Bean Ladyfingers and the Vanilla Bean Macarons so far. Today I made everyone’s favorite treat – doughnuts! Don’t forget to head on over to my blog post with all the details for the #VanillaWeek Giveaway! The #VanillaWeek Bloggers and I have some great recipes today, so please head on over to their blogs as well. We hope you join us throughout the rest of the week as we share vanilla recipes that include breakfasts, drinks, desserts and even savory dishes!
It doesn’t matter if it’s “doughnut” or “donut”, they are delicious anyway you choose to spell it. I wanted to make some doughnuts for #VanillaWeek, because everyone loves doughnuts. There are so many different ways to make them, baked cake doughnuts, baked yeast doughnuts and fried yeast doughnuts. Heck, you can even make a “Cronut” (croissant-doughnut for those of you who have yet to experience this awesome treat).
I chose to do a baked cake doughnut because lately the less mess and time I spend in the kitchen, the better. Baby L&C, or rather, Toddler L&C is in full toddler mode at the moment. She is so full of energy, very attached to Mommy, and wants to get into everything. Cake doughnuts were an easy way to get my doughnut fix, while not worrying about how much time they would take. The batter is simple and the icing is easy.
I wanted a pop of color, so of course I chose pink since Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Also, these little heart sprinkles are THE cutest! I want to put them on everything!! They were perfect for my Vanilla Bean Doughnuts and I can’t wait to bake something else to be able to use the sprinkles. You, too, can make these adorable doughnuts at home, especially if you go enter for our big #VanillaWeek giveaway! Enjoy!
Vanilla Bean Doughnuts
A Love and Confections original recipe
Click here for a printable recipe
Yield: 22 Doughnuts
Vanilla Bean Doughnut Ingredients:
– 5 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, room temperature
– 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
– 1 & 3/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Cake Flour
– 1 & 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
– 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
– 1/4 teaspoon Salt
– 2 Eggs, room temperature
– 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
– 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Bean Paste
– 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
– 3/4 cup Whole Milk
Vanilla Bean Doughnut Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375F and with baking spray, lightly coat 2 doughnut pans and set aside.
2. With your stand mixer, beat the Butter and Sugar until light and fluffy. While the butter is beating, Sift together the Cake Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt, and set aside.
3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with butter. While on low, add in the Eggs one at a time as well as the Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Bean Paste.
4. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to insure everything is mixed.
5. Fill a piping bag with half the batter. Pipe the mixture into the doughnut pans, about 1/2 way full. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until the doughnut is lightly golden and cooked throughout. Let them cool in the pan for a few minutes then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Ice doughnuts when completely cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Vanilla Icing Ingredients:
– 2 cups Dixie Crystal’s Confectioners’ Sugar
– 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Tahitian Vanilla Extract
– 2-4 tablespoons Whole Milk
– 2-4 drops of Neon Pink Food Coloring
– Sprinkles, optional
Vanilla Icing Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, add the Confectioners’ Sugar, Vanilla Extract and 1 tablespoon of Milk. Whisk to combine. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you have reached a good consistency. Add in the Food Coloring, blend, and using a spoon, drizzle onto cooled doughnuts. Garnish with sprinkles and enjoy!
Until next time,
LOVE & CONFECTIONS!
Here are more #VanillaWeek Blogger recipes:
Kahlua Vanilla Cream Soda from Frugal Foodie Mama.
Disclosure: Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, Bob’s Red Mill, Silpat, Quirk Books and Dixie Crystals/Imperial Sugar are providing the prizes free of charge. These companies are also providing the bloggers with samples and product to use for #VanillaWeek. All opinions stated are my own.