This recipe was created for the #BerryDelish contest in conjunction with the Food Wine Conference. I was not compensated for this post. All opinions are mine alone.
I’m heading to the Food Wine Conference next weekend and cannot wait! One of the conference sponsors, Wish Farms is hosting a #BerryDelish contest, where bloggers were tasked with creating a cocktail or mocktail using their fresh berries. With so many berry good (see what I did there?) cocktail options, like sangrias, mojitos, punches, and spritzers, I knew I wanted to create a show-stopping and delicious variation of a favorite – the Moscow Mule.
Moscow Mules traditionally have mint, vodka and ginger beer. While I do have a beautiful burgeoning mint plant, I wanted to use a different herb for this special drink. My mom is growing an enormous and beautiful basil plant, and I love basil in cocktails, so it was a no-brainer.
How could I choose between all the gorgeous Wish Farms berries? Well, I didn’t. That’s why I made it with three – blueberries, strawberries and blackberries. They come together with a bit of sugar and basil and create a delicious berry syrup as the base of the cocktail.
Very Berry Basil Moscow Mule
By Love and Confections
- 1 cup Wish Farms blueberries
- 1 cup Wish Farms strawberries
- 1 cup Wish Farms blackberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 8-10 large basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 5 limes
- 8 ounces vodka
- Ginger beer
- Place blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, sugar, water and basil leaves in a medium pot and stir together. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then simmer on low for 5-8 minutes, or until all berries have burst or released their juices. Turn off heat and let cool for another 5 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, or a large spoon, mash the berries to make sure they have released all the juice. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a heat-proof measuring cup and refrigerate mixture until cold.
- Place crushed ice in copper mule glasses. Divide the berry mixture between them, squeeze half a lime into each glass. Add 2 ounces vodka to each glass and top with with ginger beer.
- Slice the remaining lime for garnish. Garnish with berries and basil.
Yield: 4 cocktails
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Until next time,
LOVE & CONFECTIONS
This post was created for the #BerryDelish contest in conjunction with the Food Wine Conference. I was not compensated for this post. All opinions are mine alone.