Brunch isn’t complete without a casserole, and my Bacon Cheddar Grits Casserole is the perfect Southern side. Enjoy it with an over-easy egg and salad for a delicious meal.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BrunchWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to aid in the creation of the #Brunchweek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Southern food is among my favorite for Brunch options. Give me biscuits and gravy, chicken and waffles, fried green tomatoes, deviled eggs, or grits, and I am a happy girl. I grew up experiencing Southern food from extended family and friends. As a result, I developed a love of Southern cuisine and enjoy sharing it with others.
There are some grits purists who don’t want any add-ins, but I like it all. Grits with a little salt and butter, cheese grits, grits casserole, and more. This easy Bacon Cheddar Grits Casserole uses Cabot Bacon Cheddar Shredded Cheese. The cheddar has little pieces of bacon mixed throughout, which gives it a nice smoky flavor. Bacon and grits are a match made in culinary Heaven. I added some extra bacon for good measure, too.
Know your grits:
- Know what type of grits you are working with, and the best method to prepare them. Are they stone-ground, hominy, regular, quick-cooking, or instant? Do they need pre-soaking?
- The difference between yellow grits and white grits is they type of corn. Some say there is no difference in taste, while others say yellow grits are sweeter and have more of a corn flavor, while white grits are more delicate in flavor.
- Grits absorb more salt before they are fully cooked. For savory grits, salt the cooking water well. Use less salt for sweet or dessert grits
- Cooking liquid can be water, soaking liquid, half water-half milk, or half water-half stock (use little or no salt depending on the saltiness of your stock)
- Grits, cornmeal and polenta are not the same. There is a difference in taste, texture and fineness of grind.
- A whisk is one of the best tools to use when cooking grits. It helps release starch, for creamier grits.
Bacon Cheddar Grits Casserole
- 1 cup yellow corn grits
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Cabot Bacon Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), cut into pieces
- 4 slices cooked and chopped bacon
- Heat oven to 325F. Grease 9 x 9 oven-safe baking dish and set aside.
- Place water and salt into a large saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Whisk grits into boiling water and continue whisking until grits boil.
- Cover pan with lid, reduce heat to low, and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until cooked.
- In medium bowl, whisk eggs. Slowly whisk one cup of grits into eggs. Whisk egg mixture back into grits, along with shredded cheese, butter and bacon.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Enter the #BrunchWeek giveaway here:
Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Iced Lavender Latte from The Baking Fairy
Mango Lemonade Cocktail from Kate’s Recipe Box
Mango Wine Spritzer from April Golightly
Meyer Lemon Margarita from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Strawberry Lassi from Tip Garden
BrunchWeek Appetizers and Salads:
Breakfast Salad from Simply Healthyish Recipes
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Breakfast Poutine from The Redhead Baker
This recipe is intended for individuals ages 21 & up. Please drink responsibly. Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Joyjolt, Sweets & Treats, Torani, Sarcastic Cooking, Dessert for Two, Sweet Phi, and The Little Ferraro Kitchen for providing the prizes free of charge. The sponsors also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #BrunchWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning.
Six (6) winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. Winners have 48 hours to respond once chosen, or they forfeit the prize and another winner(s) will be chosen. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #Brunchweek posts or entry.