Enjoy your PSL in cake form with a Pumpkin Spice Latte Layer Cake. Moist pumpkin spice cake is layered with a rich coffee buttercream, reminiscent of the coffeehouse Fall favorite drink.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Layer Cake will easily become a family favorite. Enjoy the flavors of the season in a delicious, and easy sweet treat.
Pumpkin Spice Cake:
Semi-homemade cakes are an easy way to create cakes at home. I used my favorite brand of box mix as a base and added pumpkin to it, similar to my Pumpkin Pecan Pie Layer Cake. The cake is delicious on its own, and would also be perfect with a Cream Cheese Frosting. I prefer the Pumpkin Spice Latte Layer Cake to have the separation of flavors – pumpkin in the cake and coffee in the buttercream. I didn’t want the coffee to overpower the pumpkin and spice flavors.
Pumpkin is often paired with pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice) because it doesn’t have much of a flavor on its own.
This buttercream is one of my favorites to make, because it is fast and easy. It isn’t a true buttercream, but more an adaptation. There are no whipped egg whites, like in a Swiss meringue buttercream, but it is just as delicious.
If you love coffee-inspired baked goods, try my Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes! The gingerbread latte cupcake and coffee buttercream should definitely be on your Fall or Winter baking list!
TOOLS, TIPS & TRICKS:
- Most importantly, start with a good set of cake pans. I have both 6-inch and 8-inch round pans, depending on the type of cakes I want to make.
- I use a professional cake decorating turntable to fill and frost easier.
- A stainless steel scraper will help get clean edges and a smooth cake. All of my favorite baking tools are in my Amazon Store.
- Crumb coating is a thin layer of frosting that traps loose crumbs before applying the final frosting.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Layer Cake
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 box Duncan Hines spice cake mix (15.25 oz)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- pinch salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure coffee extract
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Heat oven to 350F. Prepare 3 6-inch cake pans with cooking spray and parchment. Set aside.
- In stand mixer, add all ingredients and mix to combine on low speed. Increase speed to medium for 1 minute. Divide batter between cake pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10-15 minutes then turn out on wire rack to cool completely.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and salt for 3 minutes. Add in shortening, vanilla, and coffee extract, and beat to combine.
- Sift together powdered sugar. Slowly add to butter mixture, alternating with milk 1 tablespoon at a time, to desired consistency. If not using immediately, transfer to bowl, cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature and re-whip before using.
- Level Cakes. Place bottom layer on 6-inch cake board. Using a small offset spatula, frost with approximately 1/4 cup frosting. Place second layer on top and repeat.
- Place third layer on top (turned upside down so it is completely smooth for frosting) and apply a crumb coat over cake. Place in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Frost top and sides and smooth with cake scraper/comb. Alternatively, use a small offset spatula to create a design around the outside of the cake by spinning the cake as you gently scrape a small amount of frosting away. Pipe top with 1M piping tip.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate then bring to room temperature before serving.
Pumpkin season is here, and we are celebrating our love of pumpkin with #PumpkinWeek hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. All week-long 26 bloggers will be sharing over 80 pumpkin-filled recipes for all your Autumn celebrations, including breakfasts, baked goods, savory pumpkin recipes, desserts, and drinks.
- Iced Pumpkin Pie Drink by Palatable Pastime
Breakfast and Baked Goods
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins by The Mandatory Mooch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins by Our Sutton Place
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Pumpkin Pull Apart Bread by Making Miracles
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake by Blogghetti
- Baked Pumpkin Goat Cheese Alfredo Pasta with Bacon by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Pumpkin Bacon Mac and Cheese by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin Corn Chowder by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings