Welcome to #10DaysofTailgate hosted by Culinary Adventures with Camilla! There are nearly two dozen bloggers with over one hundred recipes to inspire you through an entire tailgating season. From Chili, Meatballs and Wings to Sangria, Pretzels and some sweet Desserts, we have all your tailgating recipe needs covered. #10daysofTailgate runs from September 20th through September 30th. A huge thank you goes to our event sponsors who have graciously donated prizes for our readers. There are fourteen different prize packages so make sure you enter the rafflecopter HERE and check back throughout the event for all the wonderful recipes. Don’t forget to follow the hashtag on Twitter too.
With school back in full swing and the excitement of Fall in the air, slow cooker season is upon us. I love using my slow cooker because it makes meals easy. I can put all the ingredients in at once in the morning, and not have to worry about it until dinner time. Sometimes there are a few last minute steps to take right before serving, but it is much faster than having to prepare everything all at once.
The first two months after Baby L&C was born I used my slow cooker a lot. It is so convenient to not have to worry about dinner while taking care of a newborn. Pulled Pork is one of my go-to slow cooker meals. I consider myself a Southern Girl at heart. Barbecue, hush puppies and sweet tea are some of my favorite foods.
I have always loved sweet barbecue sauce, but since my parents moved to North Carolina a few years ago, I have learned to love that style of barbecue as well. It’s tangy and absolutely delicious. I love having a Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwich topped with coleslaw. I usually have some pork butt in the freezer, ready and waiting for me to make this pulled pork. You can use it without the barbecue sauce as well. Pulled Pork Nachos, Chili or Asian-Style Sandwiches are a great way to use up any leftover pork.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
a Love and Confections original recipe
Click here for a printable recipe
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Instructions:
– 2-4 cups dark Soda of your choice, amount depends on how much pork you have (I have used either Dr. Pepper or Coca Cola when I make this recipe)
– 2 cups Barbecue Sauce, divided (optional, can be made without BBQ for plain pulled pork)
– 1 tablespoon Nature’s Seasonings, or whichever seasoning blend you prefer
– Boneless Pork Butt
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Directions:
1. In your slow cooker, whisk together 2 cups Soda with 1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce. Sprinkle half of the Nature’s Seasonings into the mixture.
2. Place Boneless Pork Butt into slow cooker. The soda mixture should come 2/3rds of the way up the meat. Add more soda if necessary. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
3. Once meat is cooked, remove from slow cooker and shred. Empty liquid into a large heat-proof measuring cup.
4. If your slow cooker has a warm setting, you can use it, if not, keep the pork on low while warming the sauce. Place shredded pork back into the crock pot and top with remaining Barbecue Sauce. You may add more sauce if you like. Add some of the cooking liquid back into the pork (anywhere from approximately 1/2-1 cup), to keep it moist, and discard the rest.
5. Serve warm and enjoy! I like making BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches topped with coleslaw.
Until next time,
LOVE & CONFECTIONS!
And here’s what the team brought to the table…
Does Dinner Healthy
Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies by The Spiffy Cookie
*Disclaimer: All opinions are my own. I only use products I love.