Key Lime Pie Pancakes are the perfect end-of-Summer breakfast.
Key lime is my favorite dessert flavor, and pancakes are the perfect vessel for great key lime pie flavor. Graham cracker crumbs and lime zest give the pancakes great texture and taste. I opted to add in 1/2 teaspoon of key lime extract, but if you don’t have the extract, it can be left out and tastes just as good.
Sometimes key limes are hard to find in the store, so I used regular Persian limes for my zest. The key is the key lime juice, and my go-to brand is Nellie and Joe’s. Key lime juice can usually be found in the juice aisle of the grocery store.
The pancakes alone are slightly tart from the lime zest and juice, so a sweeter topping balances them out perfectly. I topped the pancakes with a small drizzle of sweetened condensed milk – for that creamy key lime pie flavor, maple syrup, a dollop of whipped cream, and graham cracker crumbs.
Here are some other favorite homemade pancake recipes: Orange Buttermilk Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce, Banana Nut Bread Buttermilk Pancakes, and Homemade Gingerbread Pancakes. I usually make extra pancakes and freeze for easy school morning breakfasts. Place pancakes onto a flat sheet tray and pop into the freezer for an hour or two. Once frozen, pack into a zip-top bag. Reheat in the microwave, oven, or toaster oven.
Tools, Tips & Tricks:
- I love using an electric griddle when making pancakes. More surface are and less time cooking for a crowd!
- Here is a list of my favorite kitchen tools, including my favorite microplane zester
- Remember to only use the zest and not the white bitter pith
- Check out my no-churn ice cream recipes to use leftover sweetened condensed milk.
- Here is a list of all my key lime recipes.
Key Lime Pie Pancakes
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- zest from 1 lime
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon key lime extract (optional)
- top with sweetened condensed milk, maple syrup, whipped cream and graham cracker crumbs
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and lime zest. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine milk and key lime juice. Let sit for 2 minutes
- Add eggs, vanilla, milk, and optional key lime extract to dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Prepare griddle, preferably with shortening. Whisk batter before cooking. Using ladle or measure roughly 3-4 tablespoons batter, pour batter onto griddle and cook pancakes, turning once bubbles form on the top. Serve warm with sweetened condensed milk, maple syrup, whipped cream and graham cracker crumbs
We are celebrating with #BacktoSchoolTreats hosted by Terri from Love and Confections and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. All week-long bloggers will be sharing 30+ fantastic recipes for both parents and kids, with breakfasts, snacks, desserts, and drinks to get you back in the school routine.
Frozen Hot Chocolate by Family Around the Table
Fruit Bomb Smoothies by Our Good Life
Fluffernutter Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures